Become a Homeowner
Becoming a homeowner with Habitat Choptank comes with a lot of responsibility, but it also comes with a lot of benefits. Most importantly, you are securing not only a home, but a solid foundation for yourself and your family. Through the purchase of a well built, energy efficient, affordable home, you are investing in yourself and your family’s future. Listen to other homeowner insights>>
Habitat Choptank can partner with you throughout the home buying process. Are you ready to take the next step?
Making the Commitment
The commitment a home buyer makes:
- Dedicate at least 300–400 hours of “sweat equity”
- Helping to build other Habitat homes and their future home alongside volunteers
- Attending home owner and financial education classes
- Working closely with a volunteer coach for mentoring and support through the home buying process
- Be free of any outstanding collectible debt before closing and save for closing costs.
- Pay an affordable mortgage for the cost of the home.
- Assume responsibility for maintaining the home, and for paying home owners insurance and property taxes.